Friday, January 23, 2009

Hey, Jealousy

I know it's ridiculous to let a ten year old make you cry, but, Moms, back me up, has your child ever said something that just cut you and even though you didn't want to cry, you did? My daughter received a gift certificate to the movies for her birthday. I had planned on taking her, just me and her, I thought she'd appreciate some one on one time. Then, yesterday, she asks me if she can take the gift card with her to her dad's because she wants to go to the movies with her dad's girlfriend. I said, I thought we were going to go together. She responded by saying that she would rather go with her dad's girlfriend. She might just as well have slapped me in the face! I was stunned. She would rather go with my ex-husband's girlfriend! When did this nonperson become such an important person in my daughter's life? I know I sound cruel, I know. And, yes, I'm glad that she likes her dad's girlfriend, but she's a girlfriend, not a stepmom. If she was a stepmom, I might be a little more understanding. I'm a stepmom, so I could relate. And, yes, I realize that means that I was once my stepsons' dad's girlfriend. And, I'm sure his exwife felt like I did, wondering when I'd oozed my way into the family without her noticing. But seriously, my ex has had five girlfriends--that I've met--since we divorced. Why should I think that this one will last? So, why is my kid becoming attached to her? I can see no good coming from it.
And, ya know, it's just not fair, of course my kid thinks that this chick is fun, all she and my daughter's dad has to do is entertain them for 48 hours every two weeks. That is it. They don't help with homework, enforce bedtimes, make sure they clean their rooms, and on and on. As far as I'm concerned, they are akin to babysitters. Babysitters entertain the kids and make sure they don't get hurt until the real parents come home. Same thing here. It's so unfair! I will always be "the bad guy"! I am so jealous! Irrational, maybe, but that's why they call it the green monster.

No comments: