Friday, January 16, 2009

Weighty Issue

My oldest daughter has an appetite that surpasses mine and sometimes even my husbands'! At first I figured that she was just going through a growth spurt. I decided to just wait it out. It was just a phase, I assured myself. But, then, it didn't stop. It still hasn't stopped. She still outeats me at meals and always seems to be hungry. According to the doctor, she is above average for weight but also above average for height--he says, she's fine, just keep an eye on what she eats. No kidding! Of course, I keep an eye on what she eats, but what good does that do? I try to serve healthy, home-cooked meals as much as possible, but even healthy food will make you put on weight if you eat a ton of it! I am so torn as to how to handle the situation. I have tried it both ways; I have not said anything and let her eat until she's full, and I have limited her intake, I have set proportion limits and denied her sweets and seconds. In both cases, I have felt uneasy and guilty. I can't let her become a fat kid; I know all too well the woes of a chubby kid. Not to mention, I want her to develop good eating habits that she will, hopefully, carry into adulthood. On the other hand, when I place restrictions on her eating, I am afraid that I will make her want to eat more in my absence or hide food and develop an eating disorder, or I fear that I will make her paranoid about eating to much and develop an eating disorder. My parents never placed limits on my food intake, and I have battled bouts of bulimia and overeating. But, then, you see kids whose parents are strict about their diets and gobble fast food and chug down sodas when their parents aren't around. So, what is the best approach? I guess education. If I educate my daughters about food and nutrition and reading labels and what's good and what's not good, shouldn't that help them to make good choices as they get older? Or, will it lead them to obsess about food and what they eat and cause a myriad of problems?

No comments: