Sunday, May 2, 2010

A New Kid, Day 5

Well, today is supposed to be the last day, Fun Day, as Dr. Leman calls it. But, I gotta tell ya, today feels more like the first day than the last day. This past week, I've been reading (and rereading) the book and trying my best to follow the techniques as prescribed. And, yes, I've had much success. But, no, I don't feel like I have "new kids," and, ya know what? That's okay. I feel like I have learned a lot and now have the tools I need to become a more effective parent and to begin enjoying family life a lot more. So, to the esteemed Dr. Leman I'd like to say, thank you for this book and for the wonderful ideas withing, but do not pretend that you can generate a new brand of child in five measly days. However, what you can do, and what you did for me, was give me the confidence and the guidance to make positive changes in my kids, and more importantly, in myself.

For Friday, Leman just asks parents to review the principles and think of the changes that you want to make. Done, and done. Now, he says, "get ready, get set, go!" See, I think, even he knows that the last day isn't really the last day--it's the first day!

At the end of the book, Dr. Leman lists several different issues that parents face from allowance to sibling rivalry and gives his advice on how to handle such situations. I will be looking at each of these (or at least the ones that apply to me), and I will try them out and let you know how it goes. So, let's begin...

No comments: