Thursday, December 4, 2008

What the hell?!

You ever watch The View, oh come on, you can admit it... Anwyay, they have a segment called "What the hell? Wednesday" where they discuss news pieces that are unbelievable or stupid or in some way warrant a "what the hell?" Okay, now that you get it, I have a "what the hell?" that I'd like to share. By now, I am sure everyone has seen the news reports about the guy that was trampled to death at a Wal-Mart on Black Friday. What the hell?!! Are people that desperate for a bargain that all sense of humanity has left them. Is that $10 piece of crap from China, no doubt, really worth it?! What the hell is wrong with people?! And, while we are on the subject of desperation, could this failing economy have anything to do with this? Are people so broke that they must resort to pushing and shoving and fighting with each other in order to save a few bucks so they can have a "good" Christmas? This newstory is not only disturbing and utterly despicable, it is embarrassing. It is embarrassing to me, as a mother, to think that parents are so consumed with buying their kids the latest toys and electronics that they don't care for each other. Why not spend that energy teaching your kid something valuable instead of buying them more crap they don't need? And, yes, I realize that I am making an assumption by saying that it was parents shopping for their kids. I'm sure the crowd wasn't all parents, but I'd be willing to bet that it was populated with more moms and dads than singles. I know how crazy parents can get when it comes to shopping for their kids. I have had my own Black Friday shames in the past. And, this urgency to buy for your kids is a very hard thing to surpress. God (or someone) help us.

1 comment:

tfalcone said...

Michelle,

Those are the "winners" in society. If you're forceful, aggressive, look out for number one, and get yours before anyone else can get their hands on it, you've made the grade in this society.

This depresses me for multiple reasons. First, it reminds me how far from civil and humane people can be. In turn, I give up trying to be the difference or the example against a force that doesn't seem to have a heart or a conscience. This makes things seem pretty bleak and any effort to be futile. Secondly, I think of the people that really are without and how selfish my concerns are to their needs. As I get older, I look for a purpose for my life and find so many paths that seem to be overgrown or misdirected and not worthy of pursuit. I have been thinking about things that could truly be done to make things better.

Here are some things I'm going to do. Maybe others can help, or suggest their ideas:

Give blood at a drive in Michigan City on December 18th at the library.

Go through my old clothes and donate them to the Salvation Army.

Look into volunteering and/or giving aid to the local soup kitchens and shelters.

Raise awareness of these needs and offer actions that can be taken.

I guess I am brought back to the unmistakeably true quote on the shower curtain of "Mom's" shower that says The purpose of life is a life of purpose .

May the blessings of purpose (and no, I don't believe in any Creator) shower you and yours.

Tom